Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 21:18:18 -0800
From:      Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        Matiss Elsbergs <matiss@bkc.lv>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Passwords question

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:04:54PM +0200, Matiss Elsbergs wrote:
> Is there a way to decrypt user passwords stored in /etc/master.passwd for
> viewing them in plain text?

No.  One-way hash.

> If there is no such possibility, and I think there isn't, is it possible to
> copy/paste this password in mySQL for authentication? How?

If I recall correctly, there's a table in mysql where user passwords are
stored.  If MySQL can use the same hash that you have in
/etc/master.passwd, then yes, you write a script that parses
master.passwd and feeds SQL queries to MySQL. :)

Such a beast may already exist, have you asked Google?

-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/