Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 16:16:27 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, Gorm Jorgensen <Gorm@Area51.DK>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha CPU Performance vs i386

On 2002-May-14 22:23:44 +0200, Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 10:19:23PM +0200, Gorm Jorgensen wrote:
>>
>> I can't seem to find any specs on how an Alpha 500 MHz is performing vs an
>> Intel 500MHz.

BTW, you can't just say "Alpha 500 MHz".  An EV6/500 in an ES40 is
roughly twice as fast as an EV5/466 in an AS4100.

>> Is Alpha faster, slower or generally the same ?
>
>FP faster, integer is ??

Note that correctly supporting IEEE FP will significantly hit Alpha
performance - maybe 20-30% slower, _much_ worse if you have lots of
non-finite numbers (denormals, infinities and NaNs).  The hit should
be slightly less on the latest AXP chips which support precise FP
exceptions.

My gut feeling is that an AS4100 EV5/466 is roughly on a par with a
PII-266 integer-wise.  At the low end, a Multia (LCA/166) is slightly
better than a 486DX2-50 on worldstones.  Since I'm currently waiting
for it to finish - ssh between an ES40 EV6/500 and a PIII-600 suggests
that the PIII-600 is around 50% faster at running blowfish.  [In the
last case, ssh and ssl were compiled using Compaq ccc with '-tune host
-arch host' on the Alpha].

As someone else noted, memory and I/O bandwidth on most Alphas is far
better than PCs.  (The Multia and other LCA machines are probably the
only exceptions).

Peter