Date:      Tue, 7 May 1996 23:09:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger - Personal Account" <babbleon@mercury.interpath.com>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   2 bugs: bug list?

I'm a little confused about the process of tracking FreeBSD problems.

I have submitted at least two itms that I would consider genuine bugs,
and neither of them seems to be on the bug list when I search the www
bugs database.

Of course, I might be doing it wrong . . . feel free to let me know if I'm
confused.

  1.  The pkg_add command is senstive to the name of the file being added.
      I originally submitted this to the "install" list because I ran into
      it in that context, and I'm a bit concerned  that it might have
      "fallen through the cracks."

      This is a serious problem because if you can't get install to work
      from a CD-ROM or the network for some reason, so you have to fall
      back to installing from a DOS partition, you *can't* make the file
      names be something sensible; they all come out like latex2e_.1 and
      such-like; thus, they don't end in ".tgz."  If you have room, and
      you copy them to a ufs partition and pkg_add from there, all is cool,
      but from a DOS partition, no go (at least at 2.1).

      FWIW, if this is terribly difficult to fix for some reason, I've got
      csh scripts that handle this situation.  (That's how I got my system
      up, since without packages you can't even read the *handbook* very
      reasonably, since lynx is a package.)

   2. chmod +s is silently ignored.  Now I *know* that this is being worked
      on; I've ad various e-mail discussions with the responsible developer,
      but it doesn't seem to be tracked on the WWW page.  Maybe this is
      correct, but the WWW page's text didn't make it clear to me by what
      criteria the list is limited.  (And surely that's the problem; the
      verbiage sounds like it would list even long-ago fixed problems, although
      that's pretty clearly not the case given how relatively small the list
      is.

Thanks for clarification, and I'll be happy to RTFM if somebody will just
point me at it.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger, the Man from Babble-On.

"Someday I'll get around to importing all the cool quotes from my other
account's .sig files."      http://mercury.interpath.com/~babbleon