Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 23:00:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Ulairi <ulairi@jps.net>
Cc:        Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: UFS, VM, scheduler, emulation questions

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Ulairi wrote:

> How'd one go about adding those flags?
> I tried the obvious - putting in
> options 0xa0ffa0ff
> and
> options "0xa0ffa0ff"
> right after the controller wdc0 line - me being as inexperienced as I
> am, that did not quite work...

You're missing the giant wealth of information provided by the "LINT"
kernel config, take a look:

/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT:

# ST-506, ESDI, and IDE hard disks: `wdc' and `wd'
#
# The flags fields are used to enable the multi-sector I/O and
# the 32BIT I/O modes.  The flags may be used in either the controller
# definition or in the individual disk definitions.  The controller
# definition is supported for the boot configuration stuff.
#
# Each drive has a 16 bit flags value defined:
#       The low 8 bits are the maximum value for the multi-sector I/O,
#       where 0xff defaults to the maximum that the drive can handle.
#       The high bit of the 16 bit flags (0x8000) allows probing for
#       32 bit transfers.  Bit 14 (0x4000) enables a hack to wake
#       up powered-down laptop drives.  Bit 13 (0x2000) allows
#       probing for PCI IDE DMA controllers, such as Intel's PIIX
#       south bridges. Bit 12 (0x1000) sets LBA mode instead of the
#       default CHS mode for accessing the drive. See the wd.4 man page.
#
# The flags field for the drives can be specified in the controller
# specification with the low 16 bits for drive 0, and the high 16 bits
# for drive 1.
# e.g.:
#controller     wdc0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14 flags 0x00ff8004
#
# specifies that drive 0 will be allowed to probe for 32 bit transfers and
# a maximum multi-sector transfer of 4 sectors, and drive 1 will not be
# allowed to probe for 32 bit transfers, but will allow multi-sector
# transfers up to the maximum that the drive supports.
#
# If you are using a PCI controller that is not running in compatibility
# mode (for example, it is a 2nd IDE PCI interface), then use config line(s)
# such as:
#
#controller     wdc2    at isa? port 0 irq ? flags 0xa0ffa0ff
#disk           wd4     at wdc2 drive 0
#disk           wd5     at wdc2 drive 1
#
#controller     wdc3    at isa? port 0 irq ? flags 0xa0ffa0ff
#disk           wd6     at wdc3 drive 0