Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:40:47 +0100 (BST)
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
Cc:        "C.J." <clayton@frii.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <tjr@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /bin/sh changed?

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, The Anarcat wrote:

> Note that the mysql script is quite odd, in itself. It comes back to:
>
> sh -c 'true & && echo foo'
>
> which is quite foolish anyways.

I don't see what the problem with this is, and am of the opinion that if
this particular construct does not work, it should. (Note i'm not talking
about the obviously wrong "||exit 1" following a line which does not end
with a backslash).

Surely, the construct "foo & && echo foo" should be allowable, and should
mean "run foo in the background, and if successfull, say so". If foo is
not found, or not executable, or if the shell couldn't fork due to low
memory, then don't print that it was successful. This is what I have used
it for in the past.

Gavin