Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:23:17 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        ben@rosengart.com, Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>, ahd@kew.com, leec@adam.adonai.net, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hacked and don't know why

> In that case, we have an as-yet-diagnosed bug in the system. We
> really experienced disk corruption -- especially of directories --
> during the QPopper buffer overflow hack. Files got the wrong

But tou have no idea as to whether or not this was directly due to the
attack or to the hacker's subsequent parading around as root.  You
admitted yourself that you were several thousand miles away at the
time and didn't find out until your return - it could have been
anything and these conclusions your reaching are simply bad science.

> It's a good argument for stack protection.

No it's not.  It's just an argument which I thought we agreed to end
by now. :)

- Jordan