Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 01:07:50 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, romank@graphnet.com
Subject:   Re: DNS

> On Friday, I changed some DNS info on our server. Today, some servers
> know about this and others don't. That it, nslookup yields the old
> result on some. Is this normal, or should I change something to make it
> propagate faster?

You'll just have to wait. Name servers cache what they learn in the course of
their queries, and answer requests out of cache when they can. They'll keep
answering out of cache until the TTL, which you supply in your SOA or in
particular RRs, expires, and then they'll requery authoritative servers for
fresh information. Also, slave servers (as they're known in BIND 8.1.x -- the
were formerly known as secondaries) will refresh their own information
according to the refresh you supply in your SOA (BIND 8.1.x supports NOTIFY, so
if both master and slave are running 8.1.x and are listed as name servers in
the zone file, the change on the slave will be instant). Both the TTL and the
refresh contribute to the delays you're seeing.

At worst, a name server out there on the Internet should not have data older
than the TTL added to the refresh time. In the future, if you're going to
change an address or an MX record or whatever and you want the change to happen
more quickly, you can start lowering the TTL as the time for the change
approaches. When you're very close to the time to make the change, lower it to
something like 60 seconds, or even 0 seconds. After you've made the address
change, reload the secondaries (if you have access to them) and restore the TTL
to a normal value. This will minimize or eliminate the time that stale data
remains cached on name servers around the world.

I hope this isn't more than you wanted to know!

Chris Johnson