Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:28:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: From a newbie standpoint

Christian Weisgerber writes:
> I'm under the impression that a novice installation does just this.

Would you believe I've *never* done a Novice installation?  By the
time I did my first FreeBSD install, I'd been making a living as a
Unix (almost all BSD-derived) sysadmin for 15 years. I *knew* what I
wanted the system to look like when I did my first install.

> Of course, you do realize that FreeBSD is a unix system which, once
> it is installed, needs a skilled administrator?  When I started
> out with unix, I was told you needed ten years of experience to be
> qualified for system administration.  No matter whether you believe
> in that estimate, systems have not become any simpler since.

No, they've gotten much more complex. Oddly enough, they've also
gotten more tolerant of less experienced sysadmins. A lot of the
things that experience taught me I needed to do for every system
FreeBSD does out of the box. Which is more than I can say for some
recent commercial systems.

	<mike