Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:54:53 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A GUI administration tool for FreeBSD

Brian W. Buchanan wrote:

> I've just put up an alpha release of my GUI admin tool for FreeBSD.
> I'd appreciate it if some folks could take a look at it and give me
> some feedback.  Bug reports, comments, suggestions, praise, and
> criticism are all very welcome. :)

Excellent!. I really like this. The only part that is really of use to
me, as my system is standalone, is the package manager. Actually I had
decided that this would be a good (i.e. useful) project for me to do
as a learning exercise for GUI programming. Sigh, guess I'll have to
think of something else now :-(.

A couple of things I'd like to suggest as enhancements:

1. A third pane that has 2 columns; one showing the
   dependencies of the selected package and the other
   listing which other (installed) packages depend on
   the selected one.

2. I like the feature of being able to copy the INDEX
   file from the CD to the HD and browse it, however
   there is a limitation here in that the packages are
   split across 2 CDs, and they are a different 2 in
   2.2.8 than in 2.2.7. When I go looking for a package
   9 times out of 10 it's on the 2nd CD I look at. How
   about being able to copy _both_ INDEX's to the HD &
   call them INDEX.<CD number> and have the software
   merge the 2 to give a unified list and somewhere in
   the window display which CD the currently selected
   package is on.

Finally one really minor gripe, but it would be nice if it were fixed.
When the package manager window first opens you have to double-click
on a line in the top pane to get the details displayed, after that
single clicking works. Could this be easily fixed so that the first
selection only requires a single click?

Thanks for your efforts, and don't forget to let us know if/when new
versions come out.

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com