Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 10:49:00 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Killing zombie processes

In the last episode (May 26), Dean Hollister said:
> I have another occurance of these Zombies causing bash processes not
> to exit. I cannot kill the zombie, and killing the parent doesn't
> work. A couple people did have some other suggestions, any ideas?

You can't kill zombies because they're already dead (blame those wacky
Unix authors for the name)

When you say "killing the parent doesn't work", do you mean that
killing the parent did NOT remove the child's pid, or you couldn't even
kill the parent at all?  What does a 'ps axl' print for the processes?

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com