Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 03:32:53 +0200
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 2.1

In article <inj.4-30fb29cf-cd3@bee.cs.kiev.ua> you wrote:
> > > Copyrights.  I don't particularly feel like tangling with either PKWARE
> > > or UniSys (LZ compression used in Zip).
> >
> > The InfoZip zip/unzip is fairly generous with their copyright conditions,
> > and they are fairly confident that they are not violating UniSys' or
> > PKWare's patents.

> I just spend the last few minutes looking through the sources, and it
> appears that ZIP doesn't use LZ, but LZW.  Apparently they are different
> enough to be safe from Copyright problems.

well, since I've spent 4 years studying data compression .... ;-)

zip uses implode algorithm which is LZ77 aka LZ for compression.
unzip supports both LZW (aka LZ768) decompression and LZ77 decompression
(and older compression methods left as compatibility with pkzip <1.93
made archives).

Unisys patent applies only to LZW. So, it applies to compress(1), GIF
format, but not zip.

You can just check with Info-Zip team (and specifically, Mark Adler and
Jean-Loup Gailly) about this.

--
The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate your
telephone ninety degrees and try again.