Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 22:29:04 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        mark@grondar.za
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gripe of the week (tm) :-)

 * Try this; put the line
 *
 * PREFIX=	/usr/local
 *
 * into the /usr/ports/x11/xearth/Makefile, type make install and watch xearth
 * get installed into /usr/X11R6!!
 *
 * There is a BIG problem here!

Um, that doesn't work because your imake config files are saying
otherwise!  bsd.port.mk depends on imake to create the Makefile for X
utilities.  Go into your imake config dir and look at site.def, you
should find

#define ProjectRoot /usr/X11R6

Change that line to where you want to put your X tree.

This was what I did when I had my X stuff in /usr/local/X11 before;
but trust me, it's not a very good idea, it's much easier to simply
accept the default and be compatible with the rest of the world.

Satoshi