Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 02:38:22 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: To Asian FreeBSD hackers: Japanese boot.flp is now available!

> In article <4399.837015342@time.cdrom.com>
> jkh@time.cdrom.com writes:
>
> >> How long would it take you to do that, seriously?
>
> About ten days.

Ah, OK.  That's too late for 2.1.5R, but what we can do instead is
something a little nicer - I'll work with you guys to do a follow-on
CD to 2.1.5 (say sometime in August/September?) which uses your boot
floppy and also has all the cover and backliner text in japanese.
It'll be referred to internally as "FreeBSD-J", just as Slackware has
its "Slackware-J"  Does that sound reasonable?

> There's one point I worry about.  The Kanji console (kon) is ported
> from Linux, and this console is GPL'ed.  I hope it is not the problem
> because libdialog is in /usr/src/gnu, but I'm worry about this point.

Well, we'll have a GPL'd kernel in that case but I certainly intend to
put all the sources on the CD anyway and that should satisfy the GPL.

> We're planning to write original I18N console as the extention of
> syscons, but it can't be done in a few days of course :-).

Ultimately, that would be very nice, yes.. :-)

					Jordan