Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 21:05:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best /var/mail permissions?

Pine claims to share the locking scheme used by most mail delivery agents,
so it can coordinate with the delivery agents and avoid corrupting
mailboxes.  This locking scheme involves creating a lock file in
/var/mail, which Pine can't do without the 1777 permissions because it
runs as the user.  In my experience, if I don't give it the 1777 perms in
/var/mail, it uses file locking techniques but takes noticeably more time
at it.  With 1777, it's really snappy. :-)  But 1777 made me nervous, and
that's why I'm here. :-)

--
Doug Lee
dgl@visi.com