Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 01:08:56 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Michael Gratton <mike@vee.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail m4 files

In the last episode (May 25), Michael Gratton said:
> I went to use m4 to configure sendmail on my 2.2.7-R system, and I
> couldn't find the m4 files for it. I went to the ports collection to
> download to reinstall the files but I couldn't find anything in there
> either.
>
> Is there a repository for FreeBSD-ish sendmail other than the base
> install files (where I assume it is really located) from which I
> could download the m4 files?
>
> Also, as there is no port, is upgrading sendmail a case of
> downloading from the source and compiling myself? Not that I'm
> complaining, it just seems a bit weird, isn't that the whole point of
> the ports collection?

Sendmail is part of the base OS, and its source is in
/usr/src/contrib/sendmail.  If all you need to do is rebuild your cf
file, you can get away with only getting the contrib part of the source
tree.  See /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile for a cvsup
configuration that will pull the sources for you.  Make sure you set
tag=RELENG_2_2, or else you might pull the sources for 3.2 or 4.0.

What I do is create my config file in /etc/sendmail.mc, and put this at
the top:

   define(`_CF_DIR_',`/usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/')dnl
   include(_CF_DIR_`m4/cf.m4')dnl

, which lets me simply run "m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf.new" in /etc.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com