Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:03:23 -0500
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrey Chernov <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: APNG patch for graphics/png port

--=-U/sPS+dzandQ3ccRmaR3

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 02:28 +0300, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 01:22:34PM -0500, Coleman Kane wrote:
> > One thing that I noticed was the APNG patch from here:
> >   * http://littlesvr.ca/apng/.
> > This seems to be expected by Thunderbird and is part of the latest
> > source tree. Mozilla has been maintaining a format spec here:
> >   * https://wiki.mozilla.org/APNG_Specification
>=20
> It should be either accepted by libpng developers (and this way appears i=
n=20
> the png port automatically) or separate slave apng port should be made.=20
> Porter is poor replacement for developer, especially considering lots of=20
> security holes libpng long history.
>=20

That is a good point, though the author of libpng suggests the MNG
format for animated graphics (and JNG as a jpeg version). This leads me
to believe that he's probably uninterested in actually incorporating the
APNG patch into libpng.

Honestly, I don't understand why the mozilla people have decided to push
this APNG standard now. Maybe I'll just go and post into that mozilla
issue a complain about wasting development time on an unfinished spec
that seems like a reimplementation of MNG.

I'll write to Greg (author) and see what he says. This is one of those
annoying points in software evolution where big entity A begins
spreading around a patched version of Author B's software, which may end
up rivaling Author B's implementation of the patch's functionality.

--=20
Coleman Kane

--=-U/sPS+dzandQ3ccRmaR3

--=-U/sPS+dzandQ3ccRmaR3--