Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 15:28:49 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        "Floris 'Tamama' van Gog" <floris@vangog.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What could be wrong? very slow networking box

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 02:44:45PM +0100, Floris 'Tamama' van Gog wrote:
> Hoi,
>
> Well I guess it's just a slow box then. Still doesnt feel right that it
> can not route 7kb/sec (+- 200 udp packets) speedy enough not to notice

Well routing packets/sec != ping != delay.

> there is a gateway in between. It's not a strange thing that it is not
> acting as my gateway at this point.

You wrote that you are using nat.
It's no problem for me to saturate a 10Mbit LAN with a NoName, but
without nat and without routing with the box.
But you seem to have cache RAM installed, which I don't.
I never got mine stable with cache installed :(
Yes it's a slow box - even with Cache.
It's a low cost board build in 1994.

> Oh well I'll just try to get this linux emulation working and see if
> that Compaq compiler will do any good on it.. If not then I have a good
> box to test both running-speed and portability of my applications on :-)

ccc bring you good speed improvements - especialy on non-BWX machines.
It would be good to see our port supporting the C++ capable versions,
but I don't had the time and experience to update the port myself.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de