Date:      Tue, 06 Aug 1996 09:18:11 -0400
From:      admin@mail.multinet.net (graydon hoare)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   strangest error I've ever seen

Hey ISP champs -- here's one I'm totally lost on.
I've got a user dialing into a netblazer, which runs through a router (which
does packet filtering) into (a) the internet and (b) the LAN housing the
machine which serves their web pages. When they connect to any site in the
entire world, including our other BSD machines on the same LAN, they get
everything served up tasty and fast. When they connect to the bsd machine
that has their web pages, it takes about 2-5 minutes to serve a single page,
and about 2 minutes to give a login prompt if they telnet or FTP. This
machine is doing nothing else right now. 100% idle. When I connect to it
locally, everything is instant. When I telnet to the netblazer they're
coming in through, and then open an FTP from the netblazer's internal client
to the host, it's instant. Every other site works fine for them, they insist
that their machine is configured fine and can access every other machine on
our LAN... and they actually DO get packets from the screwy host, just
several minutes behind schedule. Has anyone ever seen a problem even
remotely like this before? It's not a congestion problem, and the firewall
is letting everything through without complaint... tha machine in question
runs freeBSD 2.1.5 with wu_ftpd-academ 2.4 beta 9 & tcp wrapper. any
suggestions? They keep calling me and snidely implying that I haven't bought
a fast enough server. -GRRRR--

Thanks
-graydon <admin@multinet.net>