Date:      11 Nov 1997 20:45:01 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@absinthe.i3inc.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   mpd -- configuration for "server" side?

I've got Archie's multi-link ppp "mpd" running on two boxes: one at my
house with 2.2.5-STABLE, the other at my ISP with 2.2.1-RELEASE.  I
want the home box to mpd-dial the ISP-box's mpd and stripe two POTS
lines.

I've been able to config the home box to dial out a single channel
into a couple people's terminal servers -- Ascend, Livingston. I'm
only trying to use one modem initially.  It acts like normal kernel
mode pppd with approximately the same performance.

What I can't figure out is how to get the ISP mpd to listen for
connections and answer the phone. Am I being lame? The normal mpd.conf
setup seems oriented for dialing out, but I've got the link set to
"answer-ring" thinking that would cause the daemon to camp on the
line, and have also turned off "bw-manage" thinking that this would
cause it to dial-on-demand rather than camp. I've tried various
permutations with no luck.

Or is mpd supposed to be spawned by init from /etc/ttys? Tried that
too and got the expected "respawning to fast" from init; perhaps I
invoked it wrong.

I've searched the archives and haven't found anything besides "where
can I find it" messages. I would have posted to -questions but most
the traffic on this was on -hackers and -isp.

Heres my ISP-side mpd configuration info; what's wrong with this
picture? Any pointers would be most welcome. Thanks.

[mpd.conf]

# Incoming connection from sisyphus.stonos.washington.dc.us
# Have to turn off login on this port! (/etc/ttys)
# If Daemon isn't sitting on the line the modem won't answer!
# Maybe need to turn of "bw-manage" to make it permanent?

default:
        load sisyphus

sisyphus:
        load log-normal
        set login ConsoleLogin
        new sisyphus usr0
        set bundle authname     placebo
        set bundle disable      multilink
        #set bundle enable      bw-manage
        #set bundle idle        300
        set iface addrs         209.31.147.33           209.31.147.34
        set iface enable        on-demand
        set iface route         209.31.147.193/32
        set ipcp ranges         209.31.147.33/32        209.31.147.34/32
        set ipcp yes            vjcomp
        link usr0
        set link yes            acfcomp protocomp
        set link yes            pap
        set link no             chap
        # We're waiting for connections, not dialing out.
        set modem script answer-ring
        set modem var $Timeout 600
        open

[mpd.link]

# Internal US Robotics 33.6 modem on cuaa0

usr0:
        set link type           modem
        #set link device                /dev/cuaa0
        # Want daemon listening in incoming device, not outgoing call unit
        set link device         /dev/ttyd0
        set link latency        100000
        set link bandwidth      23040
        set modem speed         115200
        set modem watch         +cd
        set modem var           $InitString "&F1S0=1"