Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:58:56 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Sakari Jalovaara <sja@tekla.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New SoftUpdates test kit

> > this is not always true, this can also happen if the disk has spun down due
> > to power managment...
> Seconded.  Before rushing to get replacement IDE drives, try to check
> for spindown.  Stop in BIOS setup (or whatever) before booting / after
> halt and wait and listen if the drive goes silent.  Takes 15 minutes
> for me; YMMV.
Hmm.. only one of my drives ever does this.. Its the damaged one =)
It shuts down after about 5 minutes of idleness :-/

> I haven't had crashes or anything due to spindown; spin-up just
> freezes FreeBSD solid for a couple of seconds (no mouse or keyboard
> response.)  I've just sort of supposed it is mostly harmless...
It doesn't freeze it under current, it blocks disk access instead.. (much
better IMHO :)

|Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
|http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
|The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
|choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |