Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 18:52:00 +1200 (NZST)
From:      henk van der knaap <henkvand@es.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:Making a rescue boot floppy

Dear Readers,

I do apologize for asking the same question two times. But due to an
accident I lost a lot of my mail, so I would like to post the same
question again.

I am trying to make a rescue floppy for my FreeBSD 3.1 system. I have been
using the guidelines in the FreeBSD handbook. I used the example script as
given for creating a bootable floppy.

      #!/bin/sh
      #
      # create a restore floppy
      #
      # format the floppy
      #
      PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

      fdformat -q fd0
      if [ $? -ne 0 ]
      then
	   echo "Bad floppy, please use a new one"
	   exit 1
      fi

      # place boot blocks on the floppy
      #
      disklabel -w -B -b /usr/mdec/fdboot -s /usr/mdec/bootfd /dev/rfd0c fd1440

      #
      # newfs the one and only partition
      #
      newfs -t 2 -u 18 -l 1 -c 40 -i 5120 -m 5 -o space /dev/rfd0a

etc. etc.

I have problems with the following line:

 disklabel -w -B -b /usr/mdec/fdboot -s /usr/mdec/bootfd /dev/rfd0c fd1440

I do not exactly understand what it means. I get an error messages that
/usr/medec/fdboot cannot be found. What is fdboot or bootfd?

Could somebody please tell me what is going on here??

Many thanks.

Henk

Henk van der Knaap,
92 Halswell Junction Road,