Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:57:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Shakeout time for -stable?

Is there a plan to have a waiting period for things to 'shake out'
before the CD is cut with 2.1.5?  With all of the significant 'new'
stuff and changes that have gone in the last 72 hours (VM/random in
particulr), I'd like to have time to beat on my -stable boxes to make
sure nothing got broken.  I think the code-freeze is still well-advised,
but I think at least a couple weeks of shakeout time to get things beat
up well and good would be advisable.  I'd *hate* to have this release
have some silly bug in it that could easily be fixed when 2.2 is a ways
down the road.  And, the -stable branch is going to die it appears since
all attempts to keep it alive have failed.

To support the cause, I'm upgrading all of my mission critical boxes to
today's -stable (need to pull over John Polstra's recent change) and
will beat the snot out of them.  I had planned to upgrade them to 2.1.5
anyway, so the pre-release will *hopefully* be the same code.

However, it will be a sad day when I have to reboot my
router/gateway/server/DNS/everything box.

gateway:/usr/src # uptime
10:55AM  up 159 days, 15:41, 3 users, load averages: 0.70, 0.76, 0.53

It's hasn't been touched since Bill Fenner fixed the ARP bug in 2.1R, so
I can't complain about it's stability.   Now that's a *stable* box!

Nate