Date:      Wed, 3 May 1995 08:15:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   European copyright comment translation

Terry Lambert writes:

> > Kurze Bemerkung: soweit ich weiss enthaelt die Eur. Urheberrechts-Direktive
> > spezielle Klauseln die das reverse engineering zum herausfinden von
> > Schnittstellen moglich machen.
> >
> > Gruss
> >
> > Christoph Weber-Fahr
> >

> I'm sorry; my German isn't what it used to be.
>
> "So it is; the EEC directive special clause regarding the reverse
>  engineering <?> of <?> <?il>legal".
>
> Clearly, I would make a good translator for toy assembly instructions.
>
> 8-).
>
> Someone have a translation?  I'm missing the most important clause that
> would tell me if he's claiming it's legal or illegal...

"A quick observation: As far as I know, the European copyright
rules include a special provision to permit reverse engineering
when it is not possible to determine the interfaces any other way."

Peter (translating better than orginating)

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936