Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 1996 02:47:36 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   CCD performance tuning

  I've been playing around with the ccd (2.1-stable) with two quantum
grand prix 4gb drives, and the performance improvements I've noticed have
been somewhat marginal, if at all.  (Performance as measured by bonnie
remains at only about 4.3MB/second with the two drives striped).  No
matter how I tune the interleave, I'm unable to increase this value much
-- it remains about the same as that for a single drive.  The only thing
that does improve is the seeks/second, and even that isn't an amazing
improvement.

   The drives are on an Adaptec 2940UW.  P100, triton chipset.  Is this
more of a motherboard problme, or a dave-is-being-stupid problem?  I'm
afraid I'm not much of a hardware guru, so I may be overlooking something
pretty obvious.

     -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)