Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 20:42:50 -0400
From:      Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why install -C include files?

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 05:06:44PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:58:02 CST, Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > The reason I'd like to see it isn't so that make world kills things
> > automatically, but so that I could kill them (or at least find out
> > what should be killed) on systems that had FreeBSD 1.0 installed on
> > them, then upgraded, disk cloned, etc.
>
> That's exactly what I'm talking about. :-)

I would sure like to rely on this being the case, as I routinely
remove anything from the system [s]bin directories that are not
timestamped with the installworld date.  I just _assumed_ that was
proper to ensure that stale files are not left lingering after code
has been moved/removed.  Is this behaviour being changed for some
reason?  If it is, or if anyone is thinking about making installworld
use -C everywhere, please don't.

One notable exception to this seems to be /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
which uses -C for some reason.  You don't want to remove _that_ by
mistake :).

-Brian