Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 2009 12:30:54 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Racine <racinej@mcmaster.ca>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fresh install of gnome 2.24 & FreeBSD 7.1 woes (logout crashes, `failed to restart'...)...

Hi.

I recently posted that I was having issues on a Dell Optiplex SX280
after upgrading that had no problems with gnome 2.22 running FreeBSD
7.0. However, my upgrade to 2.24 did not go smoothly. I could not log
out of a gnome session and trying `reboot' as root crashed the system.

Prior to the upgrade system had been up for months with zero issues.
But, I thought perhaps it was the fact that this system has been
upgraded many times so perhaps things were getting linked to old libs.
Hence, on Friday I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 7.1 from a CD and
complete compile of gnome 2.4 from scratch. Yes, I have dbus_enable
and hald_enable in rc.conf and gnome_enable.

There appear to be some serious issues that others have recently
noted. I don't know if it is xorg 7.4, gnome 2.24, or FreeBSD 7.1. Any
suggestions as to what to try would be most welcome. Here are the
symptoms, and many thanks for any suggestions.

1) With gnome_enable, I cannot restart or stop the computer from the
gdm login screen - I get a `failed to...' message.

2) If I remove gnome_enable from rc.conf but leave hald_enable and
gdm_enable set, then log in as a regular user, when I logout the
system crashes cold

Note - these are exactly the symptoms I was having when I upgraded the
system prior to the fresh install. Any suggestions as to how to
proceed to diagnose the issue would be most welcome.

-- Jeff

Professor J. S. Racine         Phone:  (905) 525 9140 x 23825
Department of Economics        FAX:    (905) 521-8232
McMaster University            e-mail: racinej@mcmaster.ca
1280 Main St. W.,Hamilton,     URL:
http://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/racine/
Ontario, Canada. L8S 4M4

`The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance'