Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 1995 18:59:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        mikhail@klm.com (Mikhail Kuperblum)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poor NFS performance under FreeBSD

> It there any way to tune up a NFS performance with FreeBSD? I have
> FreeBSD v2.0.5 box as a server, on the client side is SCO Unix OSE 5
> connected via ethernet (SMC 8216). I've done all I could on the
> client's side, but still it takes about 8 times as long to copy
> a file over NFS than, for example, via ftp. Is there anything
> tweakable in FreeBSD setup that can make a difference? BTW, I can't
> find any trace of rpc.lockd or rpc.statd under FreeBSD. Aren't
> they required? Thanks for any help you can provide and, since
> I'm not a subscriber to this list, if you'll respond, please
> Cc to mikhail@klm.com.

It's your NFS write performance that sucks.  This is compliant with
the spec.  If we cached, like SCO, we'd be in violation of the spec
(like SCO).

You can temporarily enable async when mounting (see the per fs mount
man pages) but unless you want to be utterly screwed the first time
the power fails, I wouldn't make this your first choice.

The lockd/stad have to do with file locking andwon't affect write
performance at all (unless you use an unlock as a trigger for client
cache flushing, and even then your processes would have to know
about it and cooperate).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---