Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 09:42:54 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@usrlib.org>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Swap partition format

When I installed FreeBSD, I created a 100M swap partition using
sysinstall. Just last night, I decided to add another 512M swap
partition. Not knowing what format the other swap partition used, I set
out a partition in the disklabel, added the partition name to
/etc/fstab, and ran `swapon -a`. Now that both swap partitions are up,
here is the output of pstat(8):

	Device		1K-blocks	[...]		Type
	/dev/ad0s2b	   102272			Interleaved
	/dev/rad0s1b       524160			Interleaved

The fact that it uses /dev/rad0s1b, when I specified ad0s1b in
/etc/fstab, tells me it is using the raw device because it can't
recognize any format on the partition. On the other hand, ad0s2b, which
is specified in /etc/fstab, is not being accessed through a raw device.

This behavior suggests that sysinstall puts some sort of format on a
swap partition during installation. I was wondering what this format is,
if there is a way to make the format on a partition, and if that method
has any advantages over using a raw device.

In addition, what does "Interleaved" mean? What are other values that
can exist in the "Type" field? Perhaps it simple means that swap
activity is divided between the two devices, but I would swear ad0s2b
had the same type before I added another device.

Thanks,
--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@usrlib.org