Date:      Sat, 20 Aug 2005 15:06:32 -0700
From:      Timothy Beyer <beyert@cs.ucr.edu>
To:        Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDLinux OS

At Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:18:47 -0500,
Nikolas Britton wrote:

> On 8/20/05, Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> >
> > > What defines Berkeley UNIX from SysV style UNIX and Linux?... What
> > > makes BSD BSD and SysV SysV. We have the lineage from 4.4BSD-Lite but
> > > what else?
> >
> > Licensing.
> >
> > Central development of libraries (like libc) and kernel and more (central
> > per project).
>
> That's one of the things I really like about the *BSDs. Could we just
> take the 2.6 kernel and develop it as are own like we do with BIND and
> Sendmail, fork it? and keep the FreeBSD libs, just port them to the
> new kernel?

I don't really see the point in this.  I can't think of any reason to
do this other than to have application compatibility with games and
Cedega.  (in which case, you might as well make a stable wine
distribution instead) If you made such drastic modifications to Linux,
I think it would take a lot of code to get most applications working
again, and the result would be really messy.  Not to mention trying to
figure out which lines of code were BSD licensed and which were GPL
licensed.

The MirBSD/Linux project does something like this, but based on what
I've discussed with the author, it isn't necessarily going to run most
applications.

Quoted from his page "purely as a quick and weird idea, qua the
absolute contrary of Debian GNU/NetBSD."

--Tim