Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 12:15:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@Taronga.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Minor numbers in shared libraries.

In a discussion with Nate Williams, I have learned that the reason FreeBSD
doesn't use minor numbers with shared libraries because standard ELF doesn't
support it. Is this a hard-and-fast unbreakable rule, or is this something
that could be implemented if it can be done in a way that's compatible with
standard ELF?

It seems to me that there should be a way of working around this, by adding
a field (either in a new section or an unused field (properly flagged with a
magic number) in the header) to communicate the minor version number to ld.so,
and having ld.so modify its search path by looking for X.so.M.N (where N >=
the number in the header), before X.so.M. This shouldn't break any "foreign"
libraries, nor break libraries created under FreeBSD when used on "foreign"
systems.

Am I missing something really obvious here?