Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 20:21:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su (=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, kaleb@x.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

> >That's too bad.  I guess you will have to properly localize in order
> >to use software, then, instead of taking advantage of 8859-x formulation
> >rules to get 90% soloutions.  Like you'd be able to do if the standard
> >you chose to use met those guidelines.
>
> I can't see why KOI8-R charset needs to follow 8859-x rules
> when setlocale() called, it simple becomes loaded as is.

If it did already, then this discussion would be over, since the
change wouldn't be upgrading Western Europe's C locale and not
upgrading yours.  It seems that that is the real problem: equal
access, not really that you honestly believe that the hack should
remain and the code should not have to be fixed.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.