Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:29:50 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/35604: arp(4) page mentions 10Mb/s but not 100Mb/s.

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 02:15:47PM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net> writes:
>=20
> > ARP is not specific to Ethernet that's just the most common
> > implementation.  Also, our implementation is no longer ethernet specific
> > and supports arcnet in addition to Ethernet and Tokenring (which uses
>=20
> So would you say that the arp(4) and arp(8) manuals need other changes
> to their many uses of the term "Ethernet", or do "arcnet" and
> "Tokenring" also have "Ethernet addresses" in networking jargon?  "MAC
> address" would sound better to me as a generic term, though I suspect
> that is pure Ethernet jargon too.

Token Ring and FDDI networks use MAC addresse and framing identical
to Ethernet.  ARCnet is totally differnet though and supporting it
required the addition of support for variable length addresses in ARP.
At this point, the manpages should probably refer at IP address to data
link address mappings.  ARP was actually ment to map Network Layer
addresses to Data Link Layer addresses, but as far as I know ARP is only
used for IP.  AppleTalk, for example, has it's own AARP protocol.

-- Brooks

--=20

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL--