Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:46:02 +0100 (BST)
From:      "=?iso-8859-1?q?Pedro=20F.=20Giffuni?=" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PPP vs mpd (was: FreeBSD lacks PPPoE (pppoa3 solution))

Hi;

I wanted to bring this up a little later but since there is a somewhat related
thread I thought I might as well bring this now. Our default PPPd is extremely
outdated. The version in the distribution is a patched-up version of Paul's PPP
2.3.5 which is maintained now at http://dp.samba.org/ppp/. Version 2.3.5 is
obsoleted and the latest version doesn't support *BSD.

The people from Debian's GNU FreeBSD project have kindly updated this pppd and
submitted their changes under a BSD license. In any case I think a decision
must be taken if pppd should be updated or if mpd is brought in (replacing the
older pppd).

If we continue carrying this old version, we will be exposed to punishment on
benchmarks and general user confusion as happened in this posting:
    http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3365
(thankfully the confusion was corrected afterwards)

cheers,

   Pedro.