Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 07:25:36 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Simon Marlow <simonmar@microsoft.com>, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to go about making a compiler port

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 02:47:21PM +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> * Simon Marlow (simonmar@microsoft.com) [990912 13:05]:
>
> >I'd like to make a port for our Haskell compiler, GHC (see
> >http://research.microsoft.com/users/t-simonm/ghc).  There are some subtle
> >problems with this:
> >
> >	- GHC depends on itself.  That is, you need GHC
> >	  installed in order to build GHC.
> >	- GHC depends on Happy, our parser generator.
> >	- Happy depends on GHC (it's written in Haskell).
>
> >So, one solution would be to provide a binary port, say ghc-bin, which would
> >install a binary distribution.  I checked the modula-3 port, and it doesn't
> >seem to have a binary port, so what's the accepted way of doing this?

It's not a port yet, but compiles from it's distribuiton without
problems: SmallEiffel is also written in itself, but has a
natural intermediate compilation phase which is ANSI C.  The
distribution just includes the C, from which the compiler and
tools is built.

That seems to work pretty well.

--
Andrew