Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 1997 13:48:16 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        gordon@drogon.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wheres all my memory going?

>> but what's quite unusual is the size of your named process:
>>
>>   UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
>>     0   287     1   9   2  0 290060  840 select Ss    ??  237:40.19 named
>>
>>    ...almost 300MB of virtual memory? Wow! I'd ask just what you were
>> primary/secondary for, but I don't think I want to know. :-)
>
>He said he was trying to run a top-level-domain nameserver. If that means
>he includes the RRs for COM (and EDU, and NET) like some of the root
>servers do, I'm not the least bit surprised about this size. Consider:

   Ahh...I missed that part. Yes, this makes sense then. That also explains
the large number of network buffers (from nameserver queries). The strange
thing is that the server got almost completely paged out...I wonder if named
forked some children to do the zone transfers and I wonder if this is what
caused the main server to be pushed out.

-DG

David Greenman