Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 18:42:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        chris@absinthe.i3inc.com (Chris Shenton)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mpd -- configuration for "server" side?

Chris Shenton writes:
> I've got Archie's multi-link ppp "mpd" running on two boxes: one at my
> house with 2.2.5-STABLE, the other at my ISP with 2.2.1-RELEASE.  I
> want the home box to mpd-dial the ISP-box's mpd and stripe two POTS
> lines.
>
> [...]
>
> What I can't figure out is how to get the ISP mpd to listen for
> connections and answer the phone. Am I being lame? The normal mpd.conf
> setup seems oriented for dialing out, but I've got the link set to
> "answer-ring" thinking that would cause the daemon to camp on the
> line, and have also turned off "bw-manage" thinking that this would
> cause it to dial-on-demand rather than camp. I've tried various
> permutations with no luck.

> [mpd.conf]
>
>         set iface enable        on-demand

Try "set iface disable on-demand" instead of enabling it.
This will make it NOT wait for an outgoing packet before
trying to "connect" -- by listening for an incoming call.
Check that the tunnel interface is up and has addresses
after mpd is started.

Admittedly, this is confusing because there are two things
you have to tweak to turn dial-on-demand on or off.

-Archie