Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:14:38 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Michelle Brownsworth <michelle@primelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WEP with Orinoco WaveLan

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 01:42:53PM -0700, Michelle Brownsworth wrote:
> I'm using an Orinoco Gold card in my laptop running 4.3-RELEASE.
> It was working fine without WEP, but when I changed it (and my
> SMC2655W) to 128-bit encryption it fails to make a connection.
> However, the same card works fine when I stick it in a Window
> laptop, so I know it's not a WEP key mismatch.  I've seen some
> posts that seem to suggest that I should upgrade to 4.3-STABLE.
> Is it the consensus that upgrading will fix the WEP problem?

I had a similar problem.  It turned out that the setup program
which speaks via SNMP to the SMC2655W and the setup program for my
Hawking 802.11b card hashed the passphrase into entirely different
keys when working in 128 bit mode.

I don't know it that's your problem, but check to see if your keys
are =really= the same.  You might have to enter one end in hex to
match the other end.

> .\\ichelle
> Michelle Brownsworth
> System Administrator
> PrimeLogic Communications
> http://www.primelogic.com

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com