Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:55:16 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What laptop should I buy?

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Darryl Okahata wrote:

> Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET> wrote:
>
> > 	That's true.  Everyone has their needs and preferences.  I guess
> > maybe carrying it in a backpack is easier than carrying a backpack for
> > college day life and then the ThinkPad 770Z which is 7 lbs inside the
> > 5.6 lb case and being on a crowed bus.  It's a little inconvenient since
> > that's one of the reasons probably on why someone stole my wallet on a
> > crowded bus exactly a week ago today since I had too many things to watch.
>
>      Perhaps you need a bigger laptop backpack?  I've got a relatively
> large backpack -- the main compartment (*not* counting the laptop
> compartment) is over five inches thick.  It's generally enough for at
> least 3-4 textbooks/notebooks.  Now, the Inspiron 7500 is, technically,
> too big for the laptop compartment, but I can make mine fit (barely) by
> turning it sideways (probably not recommended, but it works for me).
> The backpack is fairly bulky, though.

	That may be a idea too.  Carrying a bigger laptop backpack so I
can carry everything with me all in one piece instead of two.  Since
the strap on my ThinkPad 770 case (made by Port) doesn't seem to work
too well as it always slips off so I never use it.  The i7500 is a huge
machine but it's really the screen that's big on these new machines.  I
guess they don't call it a Desktop Replacement for nothing.

> [ And it looks like a regular backpack.  It doesn't look like some
>   government-issue, men-in-black, ugly backpack.  ]
>
>      If you want to see the specs, see:
>
> 	http://www.llbean.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=14955&cgmenbr=1&parentCategory=3897&shop_method=pp

	Hmmm, I knew there was a place I haven't checked before.

> > 	Never knew the VAIOs didn't have built-in CDROM drives.  I always
> > thought it did.
>
>      It depends on the models.  Last I looked, all of the really thin &
> slim VAIOs did not have built-in CDROM drives.

	You're probably right since the thin ones are more for portability
rather than features.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin