Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:14:44 +1100
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        Matt Bedynek <mbedynek@pdq.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP on Compaq Proliant DL380

Thus spake Matt Bedynek (mbedynek@pdq.net):

> I notice that APIC does not work correctly on a proliant DL380.  I have SMP
> working but I notice that dmesg reports this:
>
> APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
> APIC_IO: Broken MP table detected: 8254 is not connected to IOAPIC #0 intpin
> 2
> APIC_IO: routing 8254 via 8259 and IOAPIC #0 intpin 0
>
> also MPTABLE reports no useful info.  Since it works, this just gots me
> curious.  Is there a way to fix it?

This seems to be a problem with the way Compaq has implemented SMP on
these machines.

A fix (hack) to work around the problem has been committed to -CURRENT,
but it's not in -STABLE yet.

The Message-Id of the commit message is
<200012060347.eB63lEP66396@freefall.freebsd.org>; search the archives.

Regards,

Nick

--
 From a Sun Microsystems bug report (#4102680):
  "Workaround: don't pound on the mouse like a wild monkey."