Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 11:06:51 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "A. Ling" <aling@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to identify "remarked" chips? (was: Strange reboot saga)

>   I couldn't find anything in the FAQ or archives of -hardware or -questions about
>recognizing this problem, though I did find other references to re-marked cpu
>chips.  Do they just have paper labels pasted on top, or do you mean something
>else?

   They are far more clever than that. The ink is removed, usually with
chemicals and new part numbers are stamped on the cartridge using the same
color ink. On mine I could see the old part numbers by very carefully looking
at the light reflection off of the plastic - at just the right angle, the
area where the old ink used to be is slightly shinier and you could just
barely make out the old numbers. Another thing to look for is a not perfectly
sealing plastic cartridge. They have to pry it open to install a small
circuit, and it never seems to seal as well after that.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com