Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:50:06 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Installation instructions for Firefox somewhere?

owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org wrote:
> Chris writes:
>
>> This is simple. As someone has pointed out before, you need cvsup the
>> ports tree then a portupgrade. Yes, after the cvsup and portupgrade
>> you will have 1.0.1
>
> There is no ports tree on the machine, so it cannot be out of date.
> Isn't the index downloaded from the FTP site each time I start
> sysinstall always up to date?

Yes, but THAT index your looking at is only for the PRECOMPILED
programs -
the packages.  These are not updated except right before a release.

The ports uses a different INDEX.

> If not, how can I update something that
> isn't even on my system?

For the absolute vast majority of software packages that are covered by
the ports tree, the ports tree that is installed from the FreeBSD
cdrom's or distribution is adequate.  You can just make install right out
of that tree with no problem.

Firefox is different because it has not been out long and still is
undergoing
a lot of development by the Mozilla people.  As a result the port for it
changes quite a lot.

Ted