Date:      17 Oct 2002 10:47:27 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "Mr. Darren" <darren780@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: video out <-- need help

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 07:30, Mr. Darren wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to use TV-out for FreeBSD
> under the terms that it does not interfear or use the
> main video card display.  I require a completely
> separate 'out'.  Name any hardware and I will buy it.
> Any information will be helpfull.

You can buy a VGA to TV converter for not too much money which will work
with any video card and OS. (Around AU$150 for one that does 1024x768)

The only caveat being that you have to choose an acceptable refresh rate
and resolution for the device to work properly.

This limitation exists on normal video cards which have tv out (well
usually.. some can have two output devices like ATI but they don't do TV
out under FreeBSD).

AFAIK unless you have a laptop which has a hotkey for changing output
device (and hence the tv out is controlled by the BIOS) you can't do tv
out with fbsd (excluding the above mentioned solution)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5