Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:51:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Link light on ethernet cards

I have a question related to ethernet links that I thought someone on this
list might know.  When you plug an RJ45 link into a hub, what makes the
link light come on?  Is it something to do with the physical layer, or the
MAC chip, or what?  I was just curious as to how the link light determines
a link has been established.  Thanks.

Kyle Mestery
StorageTek's Network Systems Group
7600 Boone Ave. N., Minneapolis, MN 55428
mesteka@anubis.network.com, mestery@winternet.com

FreeBSD hope.winternet.com 3.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Dec 11
21:35:02 CST 1997  mestery@hope.winternet.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/HOPE  i386