Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:22:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        chip.wiegand@simrad.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange network connectivity problem

chip.wiegand@simrad.com wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I have a router between internet and two machines, one IIS and one
> FBSD. Saturday we had to power down everything for the PUD to shutdown
> our power for the day to hook up the new building next door. Sunday I
> powered up everything and all appeared to be fine. I even downloaded
> FBSD4.3 on the BSD box.

Did you test FreeBSD 4.3 in the old setup? Sounds like a misconfiguration
there. Can you restore your old setup?

> Today, Monday, I am not able to connect to any address outside the
> router, from the BSD box only. The IIS machine has no
> problem.

> I can ping any ip address inside the network, all 3 addresses on the router, but
>  nothing outside the router.

> I have samba, apache and telnet running on the BSD box, yet they
> will not respond
> from to requests from inside the network. Top shows all three are indeed
> running.

> I rebooted the BSD box, and sendmail hung on loading,

This happens because DNS is not working--can you resolve names from the
FreeBSD machine? Is your nameserver internal, or are you using a
nameserver that is beyond the router? Read below.

> it eventually allowed the boot to finish, but it also does not respond
> to a request to send a message. On the BSD box I can ping the inside
> network by ip address, not name.  This leads me to think it is a DNS
> problem, yet the IIS box points to the same DNS and has no problem
> with this. I checked resolv.conf and rc.conf, they have the same
> settings as the IIS box.

Right, but if you can't connect to the DNS server through IP (see above
comment) DNS won't work on the FreeBSD machine. Without knowing more, I'd
say the DNS trouble is just a side effect of your connectivity problem.

> I am at a loss as to what to check next. I don't understand why
> whatever is preventing the access to the outside world is also
> preventing access to apache and samba shares from inside the network.
> Let me know what specific bits of info are needed to try to
> troubleshoot this. Reply to the address below.

Try some of the old standbys... Send us the output

netstat -rn
ifconfig -a

And traceroutes to and from that machine from various points outside and
inside your network.

It would be most helpful if you don't try to "hide" the real IP addresses,
so we can see if you've got any problems with subnetting, private
addresses, etc.

> Regards,
>
> Chip Wiegand
> Computer Services
> www.simradusa.com
> chip.wiegand@simrad.com
> Simrad, Inc
> Lynnwood, WA
> 425-712-1138
>
> "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
>  --Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
>           (-- Then why do I have nine? Somebody help me!)

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon