Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 22:44:18 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser), "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EDO & Memory latency

>: It is, but why don't you get
>: yourself an AMD 5x86 instead,
>: which performs better than the
>: P5-83 and is a lot cheaper ?

>What is the cost and will it plug into my oldish 33MHz 486DX
>motherboard?

AMD and Cyrix both make a 5x86.  They use a 486 socket, but require a
3-volt supply.  So, you'd probably have to get a 5-volt to 3-volt
daughtercard with the CPU.  I've seen the daughtercards for $40-$50.
The CPUs should run you $75 to $100, depending on how fast you buy
them.

The only other thing you'll have to worry about is whether your BIOS
will screw things up or not.  In most cases, that won't be a problem,
from what I've been told.  Talk to a reputable dealer in Computer
Shopper if you want more help with that.

Finally, if you want much more info on this, that I just don't care to
retype, consult the NetBSD port-i386 archives for a thread on this
very subject over the past week or so.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.