Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 98 05:50:06 -0500
From:      Mark Gregory Salyzyn <mark@bohica.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting oriented with RAID

In article <9802172145.AA00337@mail.kcwc.com>, you wrote:
>>  1) From the DPT website, their PM2044UR (single channel
>>  PCI) RAID controller supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 0+1, and 0+5.
>>  Does this necessarily mean that the FreeBSD driver written
>>  by Simon can also do all of the above?  Something I read
>>  in the archives indicated that you need do use ccd for
>>  RAID0.

RAID support on the PM2044 requires the Caching card to be
added ...

>You can do all of those (at least on the PM3334), but as
>you read, you must use the FreeBSD ccd driver to do the RAID 0
>(striping) parts.  DPT supports RAID 0 across multiple
>controllers, which means it must be supported in the driver
>and not on/in the controller.  As far as I can tell, Simon
>just didn't get around to adding that to the driver.  I see
>no real reason to do so since it's supported by ccd with no
>problem.  ccd is very easy to use and you would have to use
>it if you wanted to stripe across DPT and non-DPT controllers
>anyway.

One reason for adding support is the ability to boot off  an array striped
across adapters.

>If you define a RAID 0 array with the DPT manager, it just
>shows up as separate drives when you boot instead of as one
>large drive (like it does with a RAID 1 or RAID 5 array).

You need to create the array using `other UNIX' selected under
storage manager. Another way, with the DOS storage manager,
is to run `dptmgr /fw0'. Otherwise the storage manager creates
software striped arrays ...

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn