Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2013 19:00:06 +0100
From:      Rainer Hurling <rhurlin@gwdg.de>
To:        "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org, David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Subject:   Re: graphics/gegl 0.1.8 does not build

Sorry for answering myself. (more below, please)

On 26.01.2013 16:38 (UTC+2), Rainer Hurling wrote:
> Trying to build graphics/gegl on 10.0-CURRENT (amd64; both, clang or
> gcc), I get the following breakage:
>
> [..snip..]
> GEGL_SWAP=RAM GEGL_PATH=../operations \
> ../tools/introspect > class-hierarchy.html
> mkdir -p images
> ../tools/gobj2dot.rb .. | /usr/local/bin/dot png > images/inheritance.png
> Error: dot: can't open png
> Failed to parse ../operations/workshop/max-rgb.c, probably invalid utf8
> gmake[3]: *** [images/inheritance.png] Fehler 2
> gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/graphics/gegl/work/gegl-0.1.8/docs'
> gmake[2]: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/graphics/gegl/work/gegl-0.1.8/docs'
> gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/graphics/gegl/work/gegl-0.1.8'
> gmake: *** [all] Fehler 2
> *** [do-build] Error code 1

I just recognized (thanks to David), that the 'real' first error is not
a problem with utf8 conversion, but in

../tools/gobj2dot.rb .. | /usr/local/bin/dot png > images/inheritance.png
Error: dot: can't open png

> It seems, that the main problem is with operations/workshop/max-rgb.c,
> which needs to be converted into utf8. After doing
>
>   cd operations/workshop
>   cp -p max-rgb.c max-rgb.c.orig
>   iconv -f iso8859-1 -t utf-8 max-rgb.c.orig > max-rgb.c
>
> it builds fine.  (Hope, this is not totally nonsense in this context)

This error occurs when calling '../tools/gobj2dot.rb ..' and does not
happen when operations/workshop/max-rgb.c is utf8 coded.

It is interesting, that running 'make' twice (without converting
max-rgb.c into utf8!) seems to complete the build.

Am I right in assuming that it is not necessary anymore to patch
tools/gobj2dot.rb by the ports Makefile?

Unfortunately my skills are not sufficient to step deeper into it.
Rainer