Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 21:30:29 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      root@deadline.snafu.de (Andreas S. Wetzel)
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tty-level buffer overflows - what to do?

Hi!
---

Joe Greco writes:

] > With 2 lines going full blast (sup updates!) I see *NO* overflows on my
] > box.  Again, my box is running with about 6MB of free memory all the
] > time, so I rarely hit the disk, but I've done compiles on the machine to
] > upgrade software with no noticeable degradation of serial speed.
] > However, I do no paging at all, so my disk is mostly idle even during
] > compiles.
]
] Run "du /" and watch your serial comms get choppy :-/

I coupled the two modems and did a "ls -Rl /" several times. Seemed ok.

] If you are running kernel mode SLIP or PPP, remember that you have several
] additional advantages over the described configuration:
]
] 1) the code to deal with the connection can't get swapped out.
] 2) no context switch overhead..
] 3) you don't have to go through all the tty processing layers.
]
] with only 4MB of memory, the described configuration is not likely to have
] "free memory".

The SLIP support is compiled into the kernel if that's what you mean. I never
used SLIP otherwise nor I did use user mode PPP or some ever.

Regards, mickey

--
          (__)
          (@@)      Andreas S. Wetzel        E-mail: mickey@deadline.snafu.de