Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 1999 05:08:30 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Chris Tubutis <chris@tci.com>
Cc:        "Michael G." <mikegoe@ibm.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /var -- Device Busy

> > Hmmm...I've always used rm -r to remove
> > directories...didn't even realize there was a rmdir
> > command...I guess there's many ways to do the same thing...
> > :)
>
> Are you sure you weren't using rm -rf?

Do the following and answer your own question:

    mkdir testdir
    touch testdir/file
    rm -r testdir

Of course, if you are not root and if some elements in the tree
are read-only, then you'll get asked about them without the -f
flag -- but the -f flag will not allow you to rm anything that
you could not rm without using -f (which means that -f has no
meaning when used by root).

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>