Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:24:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Scottman <fiopp@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernel build returns Error code 1

Hello helpful spirit,

I'm trying to add sound support to my FreeBSD Release
4.6.2 kernel but it will not build successfully. Here
is the error output I get (tail of make output):

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
touch hack.c
cc -elf -shared -nostdlib hack.c -o hack.So
rm -f hack.c
sh ../../conf/newvers.sh PATKERNEL
cc -c -O -pipe  -Wall -Wredundant-decls
-Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes  -c
linking kernel
if.o: In function `if_setlladdr':
if.o(.text+0x1bc4): undefined reference to
`arp_ifinit'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/PATKERNEL.

I'm only one month old in the Unix/FreeBSD environment
and don't really know what should be done to fix this.
I have included my kernel at the end of this message
for reference. I just know that I get some warnings
about some NET, INET and INET6 files... Could this be
related to these options?

options INET    #InterNETworking
options INET6  #IPv6 communications protocols

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated,
Scottman

Here is the content of my kernel:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
machine	i386
cpu		I586_CPU

ident		PATKERNEL
maxusers	0

options 	INET			#InterNETworking
options 	INET6			#IPv6 communications protocols
options 	FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options 	FFS_ROOT		#FFS usable as root device [keep
this!]
options 	SOFTUPDATES		#Enable FFS soft updates support
options 	MFS			#Memory Filesystem
options 	MD_ROOT		#MD is a potential root device
options 	MSDOSFS		#MSDOS Filesystem
options 	CD9660		#ISO 9660 Filesystem
options 	CD9660_ROOT		#CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660
required
options 	PROCFS		#Process filesystem
options 	COMPAT_43		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options 	UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console
options 	USERCONFIG		#boot -c editor
options 	VISUAL_USERCONFIG	#visual boot -c editor
options 	SYSVSHM		#SYSV-style shared memory
options 	SYSVMSG		#SYSV-style message queues
options 	SYSVSEM		#SYSV-style semaphores
options 	P1003_1B		#Posix P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options	ICMP_BANDLIM	#Rate limit bad replies
options 	KBD_INSTALL_CDEV	# install a CDEV entry in
/dev

device	isa
device	eisa
device	pci

# Sound card device
device 	pcm   # Sound Blaster compatible
device 	sbc	# Plug n Play ISA sound card support

# Floppy drives
device	fdc0	at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device	fd0	at fdc0 drive 0

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device	ata0	at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device	ata1	at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device	ata
device	atadisk		# ATA disk drives
device	atapicd		# ATAPI CDROM drives
device	atapifd		# ATAPI floppy drives
options 	ATA_STATIC_ID	#Static device numbering

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2
mouse
device	atkbdc0	at isa? port IO_KBD
device	atkbd0	at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device	psm0		at atkbdc? irq 12

device	vga0		at isa?

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device	splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an
SCO console
device		sc0	at isa? flags 0x100

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device		npx0	at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Serial (COM) ports
device		sio0	at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device		sio1	at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
device		sio2	at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
device		sio3	at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

# Parallel port
device		ppc0	at isa? irq 7
device		ppbus		# Parallel port bus (required)
device		lpt		# Printer
device		plip		# TCP/IP over parallel
device		ppi		# Parallel port interface device

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units
to allocate.
pseudo-device	loop		# Network loopback
pseudo-device	ppp	1	# Kernel PPP
pseudo-device	tun		# Packet tunnel.
pseudo-device	pty		# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device	md		# Memory "disks"
pseudo-device	gif		# IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
pseudo-device	faith	1	# IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying
(translation)